In this post, I’m going to share a fun game – bingo – for practising A1 Movers and A2 Flyers Reading and Writing Part 1.
For A1 Movers
Show learners some pictures and words from A1 Movers. You can use the pictures from an exam task, like the one here, taken from A1 Movers Sample Papers Volume 1, available here: https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/
Or, you can use flashcards
– e.g. from the World of Fun website. The words and pictures are separate, but you can show them together. Or, you could either play bingo without showing the words (just the pictures) or, get learners to write the word below each flashcard.
Next, tell each learner (or pairs of learners can work together) to draw four squares and choose four of the words and write one in each square.
Read out the definitions from the Sample Paper. (Or, you can nominate one of your confident readers to be a bingo caller). Learners listen and tick the words they hear. The first learner to tick all four words calls bingo and you check their words were defined.
- The people in this sometimes sing or play guitars.
- This person helps people who aren’t well in hospital.
- Some people put milk or lemon in this drink.
- There are lots of cars, buses and people in this busy place.
- You can put cheese or meat between bread to make this.
- This is part of a farm where you often see vegetable plants.
- This place has water all around it.
- This person takes children to school on a bus.
Key: 1 a band 2 a nurse 3 tea 4 a city 5 a sandwich 6 a field 7 an island 8 a driver
You can play the game several times, reading out the definitions in a different order, and learners can choose different words each time.
For A2 Flyers
As you know, for A2 Flyers, no pictures are used, so it’s easy to set up this activity because all you need are some words and definitions.
Either – show the ten words on the board/screen (or you read them out and learners write down four of them). Learners choose four words (with the articles if they are there) and write them down. (you can use 4 squares as above in A1 Movers too).
a play programmes a race a club a match projects a competition a concert. diaries a stadium
- Read out the definitions.
- Learners tick off the words they hear described.
- The winner is the first person to tick all four words.
- Check answers by having them say their four words. (More confident learners can also try and give their own sentence to describe each word).
- If you want to win this, you have to be very fast and finish first.
- The winner of this might have to write a story or answer a lot of questions.
- Two sports teams or people play in this and try to score.
- You can join this and learn and have fun with other members.
- Turn on the TV and you can watch one of these.
- Students at school find out about different subjects in these.
- If you go the theatre, you can watch people on the stage in this.
- Lots of people can watch their favourite sports stars in this enormous place.
- People watch and listen to their favourite singer or band at this.
- We usually write important times and dates in these books.
Key: 1 a race. 2 a competition 3 a match 4 a club 5 programmes 6 projects 7 a play 8 a stadium 9 a concert 10 diaries
If you found this post useful and fun, then you might also like my previous post about A2 Flyers Reading and Writing Part 1, with tips for how to do well.